2020 General Conference Postponed
Recent events related to the coronavirus have made it necessary to postpone the 2020 General Conference. Dates for for the rescheduled conference are not yet known.
The United Methodist Church has been in the news recently relative to an agreement that would guide the denomination through a process of graceful separation. The proposed separation is the result of a longstanding impasse on how to church should respond to questions related to same sex marriage and ordination of practicing homosexuals. This agreement was made through mediation with a group of leaders who represent the progressive, centrist, and traditional groups within the church.
At the present time, it is too early to know how this will impact Annual Conferences, local churches, or clergy. There are many details to be developed before the General Conference on May. Additionally, there are other groups making proposals relative addressing this. This means we do not know what will be passed at the General Conference.
Please continue to pray for Asbury and the United Methodist Church as a whole. May we continue to Come Build Love
State of the Church Conversations with Bishop Trimble
The Bishop has scheduled 5 “A Conversation with Bishop Trimble” events entitled, “State of the Church: Protocol, Perspective, and Priorities” He will share details about the Protocol, offer perspective, and clarify priorities of the church in Indiana, but he also wants to hear from you. Come ready to share in this dialogue about the state of The United Methodist Church.
The locations and dates are:
- Fishers United Methodist Church: Saturday, March 21 at 10:00am (ET)
- Washington Christ United Methodist Church: Sunday, March 22 at 3:00pm (ET)
- Huntington Evangelical United Methodist Church: Saturday, April 4 at 10:00am (ET)
- Seymour First United Methodist Church: Sunday, April 19 at 3:00pm (ET)
- Lafayette Christ United Methodist Church: Sunday, April 26 at 3:00pm (ET)
Possible Special Annual Conference Session
A tentative date has been set for a special session of the Indiana Annual Conference on October 10 at St. Luke’s UMC in Indianapolis. We will not know until after the 2020 General Conference whether or not this special session will be needed.
Links to More Information
- News Release relative to the Protocol Statement
- Indiana Area Bishop Trimble statement regarding the proposed separation agreement
- The Protocol Statement
- Frequently asked questions related to the Protocol Statement and the Mediation Team
- Statement from the Indiana Conference delegates to the 2020 General Conference
- United Methodist News Service chart comparing several of the plans
- 2020 General Conference: Indiana Conference page
- 2020 General Conference: UMC Communications page
- 2020 General Conference: Pre-Conference Briefing Presentations
- 2020 General Conference: Petitions and Legislation
- Links to sites of the various plans (If you love the details!)