Years ago, a pastor friend of mine frequently wrote inspirational columns for the local newsletter. He always ended his columns with the words, “I look forward to seeing you in worship.” Over the last 13 weeks, you have been able to see me in worship, but I have not been able to see you. The words of my friend seem especially appropriate these days. I really do look forward to seeing you in worship! Fortunately, I will not have to wait much longer!
Our target date for restarting in person worship at Asbury is July 5. When we do so, this will not be a big, grand reopening. We will reopen in stages, following the reopening pattern of Indiana businesses. This means we will seek a reasonable balance between our desire to come together and our desire to help one another remain safe. We do this because it is important to care for the most vulnerable among us. Additionally, we know the plans are subject to change depending on how the situation around us unfolds.
Below are some of the details relative to reopening in person worship. If you have any questions about reopening, please email me at email@example.com or Jennifer at asbury@asburycolumbus org.
Something you might consider in the weeks before July 5. If you are comfortable doing so, invite a few other people over to watch the worship video with you. Only do this if you are healthy, and only invite others to come if they are healthy. This may be an opportunity to build faith and community together. You might follow watching the video with a discussion about the teaching.
Details relative to reopening in person worship on July 5
- Reopening of in person worship will begin on July 5, 2020.
- In the near future there will be one service, at 9:30 am, in the Contemporary Worship Center.
- There will be no Sunday School.
- There will be no childcare or in person J.A.M. (Jesus And Me). This means children will need to stay with their families in worship.
- There will be online J.A.M. for the children at 11:00 am.
- Those who are sick, at risk (over 65 or with underlying health conditions), living with or caring for someone who is at risk should stay home.
- Online video will continue for those who stay home, but will not be available until after 9:30 am on Sunday morning. This is because we will be livestreaming the in person worship rather than pre-recording it. The video will remain available for later viewing.
- DVD’s are available for those who cannot view the video online.
- The doors will be propped open to minimize the surfaces that need to be touched.
- High touch surfaces in these areas will be sanitized (before and after).
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout these spaces.
- Building access will be limited to the Fellowship Circle, the Contemporary Worship Center, and the Restrooms in order to minimize the spaces that need to be sanitized.
- Chairs in the Contemporary Worship Center will be spaced 6 feet apart, in groups of 2, 4, 6 so those in the same household can sit together.
- There will be no refreshments at The Well.
- There will be no distributions of paper bulletins or attendance pads.
- There will be no passing of offering plates. Offering plates will be located at the doors as you exit.
- Please practice social distancing.
- While this will be difficult, there will be no handshakes or hugs.
- Please limit your fellowship conversations to the parking lot, and practice social distancing as you fellowship.
- Wearing of face masks is recommended, but not required. We will have a limited number on hand. Remember, the wearing of a face mask is primarily to protect those around you from a virus you may be carrying. Please be considerate of others.
- Remember who we are in Christ and seek to extend grace to those around you.